26 Jun 2018

Johhny from Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs tells Crack Magazine his 'Most Memorable World Cup Moment'



He said:

It’s a close call. Michael Owen’s goal against Argentina at France ’98 jumps out, as does Joe Cole’s screamer against Sweden in 2006, but I’m going to have to go with a Japan and South Korea World Cup qualifier between England and Greece in 2001.

David Beckham’s last minute goal from a free kick at Old Trafford. The goal made the score 2-2 and with Germany drawing their last qualifier, England automatically qualified for the World Cup on goal difference. The stadium absolutely erupted when that ball hit the back of the net.


I was lucky enough to be at the game! My dad is crazy about football and started taking me to matches from the age of 7. It was such a tense match, so much rode on the result going our way. We should have won easily really, but England never make things easy for themselves. I was sitting behind the goal that Beckham’s equaliser went into, the whole team celebrated in front of where we were sitting too. It really felt like I’d witnessed a historical sporting moment in the flesh. A funny thing I remember was a bloke and his son sitting next to me. The bloke was clearly getting a little annoyed at his son, who really didn’t care that much about football. When the goal went in, he hugged me, not his son! Poor lad.

Read the full piece here: Crack Magazine

---