10 Feb 2022

Down at the Front reviews Teeth of the Sea and The Utopia Strongs at The Lexington


It reads:

Originally arranged as two socially distanced gigs, one in the evening and a matinee show. This gig had already been moved twice. Last time, I had just ordered a pint at the bar when I received the message the gig had been cancelled due to a positive test upstairs. So my gig consisted of watching Utopia Strong pack up their car as I sat outside drinking my pint. Thankfully, today’s gig went ahead as a full capacity show.

Supporting Teeth of the Sea were the Utopia Strong. For somebody my age, the big draw is that the snooker legend Steve Davis is a member of the band. I have seen Utopia Strong before and like last time, I was more star struck seeing Steve, than just about any artist or sports person.

While obligatory to mention Steve. The Utopia Strong are a very good band. They create experimental ambient electronic music. Mixing old electronic instruments, guitar, flute and even Northumbrian pipes to create a wall of ambient music that washes over you. I rarely want to sit listening to music, but this is music to lie down to while staring at a stream of psychedelic imagery projected onto the ceiling. As the music doesn’t have a base line. It’s not something I can necessarily move around to and I realised halfway through their set, I was stood completely still, mesmerised. Looking around at the audience, so was everyone else. No one was talking. Everyone listening. Clearly, their music works...

Read the rest here: Down at the Front

---